I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.-President Barack Obama, Interview with ABC News Robin Roberts
On May 9, 2012, President Barack Obama became the first president in American history to personally affirm that same sex couples should be allowed to get married. Many celebrated the president's evolution as a continuation of the Civil Rights movement, while others lamented his decision, claiming that it went against God and God's word. We here at Rhetoric Race and Religion thought we would collect editorial that speak to this historic moment. If you have one that we missed, we invite you to share it with us on our Facebook page or on Twitter @rhetoricracerel
9. Obama’s case for gay marriage shows that invoking faith isn’t just for conservatives anymore
10. Thank You, President Obama
11. On Marriage, African Americans Aren't a Monolithic Voting Bloc
12. Faith in Memphis panel responds to Obama’s support for same-sex marriage
13. Obama Marriage Evolution Over
14. On gay marriage, Obama plays politics — badly
15. Barack Obama: The First Gay President
16. African American And Latino Clergy On Obama's Gay Marriage Support
17. Obama Gay Marriage Support Politically Calculated
18. The Courage Of President Barack H. Obama
19. Black Baptist leader rebukes Obama
20. Michael Eric Dyson: Obama’s Gay Marriage Support Forced Us To ‘All Come Out Of Closets’
21. Obama's 'Cynicism' on Gay Marriage
22. Is Obama Making Black Men Soft?
23. Moss to African-American Clergy: Don’t Abandon Obama Over Same-Sex Marriage
24. Obama’s Gay Marriage Support Shocks Black Church
25. Obama, gay marriage & the black church vote
26. Black Pastor Tells CNN His Church Won’t Support Obama, ‘Plan To Stay Home’
27. Same Sex Marriage: If Not Now, When? If Not America's First African American President, Who?
28. Media Courts Black Clergy on Gay Marriage
29. Pastors Disappointed by Obama's Shift on Marriage
30. The Failure of Obama’s Faith Strategy Revealed
31. Obama’s Case for Gay Marriage Shows That Invoking Faith Isn’t Just for Conservatives Anymore
32. On gay marriage, is Obama ‘imposing his religion’?
33. Obama, Jamal Bryant and the Politics of Selective Outrage
34. Righting rhetoric surrounding institution of marriage
35. Obama's No-Risk Drive-By On Gay Marriage
36. Gay marriage and President Obama
37. Obama, the Black Church and Gay Marriage: Things the President Might Want to Know
38. Joel Hunter Responds to Obama's Gay Marriage Endorsement
39. Will Gay Marriage Threaten Black Support for Obama?
40. I heard you Mr. President, and "Hear" is What I have to SAY!!!
41. Charles Krauthammer: Obama boxed in by gay marriage
42. How Obama Changed Gay-Marriage Beliefs in North Carolina
43. The Black Church's Conundrum: What Would Jesus Do?
44. Black Pastors Say Gay Marriage Hijacks Civil Rights Movement
45. Marriage equality, Christianity and Obama
46. Black Ministers Follow Obama
47. The Black Church, Obama, & Gay Marriage
48. Obama, the Black Church and Gay Marriage: Things the President Might Want to Know
49.On Obama, homosexuality, the Apostles and the Gentiles
50. Black Community Poised to Follow Obama’s Leadership on Gay Rights
51. Blacks, Gays And The Church: A Complex Relationship
52. Why The New ‘Obama Gay Marriage Support Is A Wash’ Meme Is Wrong
53. Obama and Gay Marriage: A Lesson for All Progressives and the Obama Campaign
54. Obama's effect on gay 'rites'
55. Did Obama change the nation’s mind on gay marriage?
56. Bishop: Obama Gay Marriage Views Create ‘Adulterous Relationship’ With Blacks
57. Farrakhan Criticizes Obama on Gay Marriage
58. What Obama has done for gay marriage
59. 'Heart-Broken' Black Pastors Want to Meet Obama Over Gay Marriage
60. Interpreting Gay Marriage Poll Results: Do the Bumps and Wiggles Mean Anything?
61. When leaders actually lead
62. Obama, Gay Rights and the Abrahamic Law of Politics
63. Why Blacks Evolved So 'Quickly' on Gay Marriage
64. Obama’s Confederate Marriage Policy