Saturday, February 1, 2014
#RenishaMcBride: A Reader
On November 2, 2013, Theodore Wafer shot Renisha McBride in the face as she sought assistance after being in a car accident. The shooting of an unarmed black teenager has similarities to the Trayvon Martin murder by George Zimmerman. Here at R3, we will collect some of the editorials and opinion pieces that examine the shooting of McBride. If you have a piece you would like for us to include, please send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To see past "Readers," click here.
1. Where Is the Million Hoodie March for Renisha McBride?
2. The Case of Renisha McBride
3. The Tail of Two Women: Betsy Chapman and Renisha McBride
4. What the Blogosphere Got Dangerously Wrong About the Renisha McBride Case
5. Commentary: Standing Our Own Ground
6. Shootings Cast Pall Over Detroit’s Comeback Narrative
7. White Men, Black Female Bodies, and Renisha McBride
8. Race, Justice & Culture: Renisha McBride, Marissa Alexander and “Knockout”
9. Renisha McBride and Other Black Women Need to be Defended
10. The racist killing of Renisha McBride
11. Welcome to America, Where It's a Crime to Be Black
12. Renisha McBride and the American Gun Slinger
13. Mitch Albom: Restraint needed, please, in divisive Renisha McBride case
14. THE KILLING OF RENISHA MCBRIDE
15. Charges in Renisha McBride case show the system working
16. Do you see this woman?: Renisha McBride and the image of God
17. Who will defend Black women?
18. "I Didn't Mean to Kill Renisha McBride." But Does it Matter?
19. Where is the Justice for Renisha McBride?
20. “She Killed Herself”: Renisha McBride and the Racial Politics of Blaming the Victim
21. Why a Young Black Woman Owns a Firearm
22. The Horrific Killing Of Renisha McBride
23. Thankfully, New Orleans couple figured out intruder on their porch was harmless
24. CAN RENISHA MCBRIDE KILLER CLAIM STAND YOUR GROUND DEFENSE?
25. Analysis: Self-Defense Claim May be Legally Weak in Michigan Porch Shooting
26. This Time ‘Trayvon’ is a 19-Year-Old Black Woman Shot In the Back of the Head
27. Judge Rules Detroit Suburban Homeowner Should Stand Trial in Shooting Death of Renisha McBride
28. Witness Says Renisha McBride Just ‘Wanted To Go Home’
29. Renisha McBride and the Victimization and Criminalization of Black Women